Joy Smith, PT is the first and most experienced specialist in the Florida Panhandle to treat scoliosis with the Schroth Method.
It is a unique 3D treatment approach that helps to elongate, de-rotate and strengthen the scoliotic spine.
Joy is a Barcelona-Schroth C1 Certified Physical Therapist.
What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis is a “complex 3 dimensional curvature of the spine and trunk, which appears in apparently healthy children, and can progress in relation to multiple factors during any rapid period of growth or later in life.” – Dr. Manuel Rigo.
Historically, physical therapy has played a minor role in the management of scoliosis in the United States. Patients are often advised the “wait and see” approach when diagnosed, and given few options for intervention.
Today patients and families want to take a more proactive approach in preventing curves from progressing.
Our scoliosis program offers the resources needed to comprehensively, conservatively and completely manage scoliosis in adults and children.
What is Scheuermann’s Hyperkyphosis?
It is a “structural kyphosis that typically develops during adolescence, causing the kyphotic spine to become rigid, and sometimes progresses into adulthood.” — Scoliosis Research Society.
A condition that includes physiological changes to the structure of the thoracic spine, therefore causing an increased rounding of the trunk.
The Schroth Method will help BOTH scoliosis and Scheuermann’s by elongating and de-rotating the spine.
Schroth exercises are customized for YOU!
The method teaches you how to:
- Correct spinal rotation and increase lung capacity with a rotational breathing technique.
- Help restore normal spinal position with pelvic corrections, breathing techniques, and stabilizing isometric contractions.
- Improve your posture while you live your life, not just during therapy.
The Schroth method was developed in Germany in the 1920’s by Katharina Schroth who herself had moderate scoliosis and wanted a way to treat her condition. Therefore she created exercises and breathing techniques to help stop or decrease the curve of the spine. BSPTS is the Barcelona Scoliosis Physical Therapy School founded by Dr. Manueo Rigo.
The Schroth Barcelona Institute (SBI) has been teaching physical therapists the original Schroth principles and advanced concepts in scoliosis.
Conservative management with Schroth Therapy includes:
- Improved understanding of scoliosis prevention and curve progression
- Improved posture
- Reduced pain
- Increased strength and flexibility
- Improved body mechanics
- Improved breathing
- Improved endurance and tolerance to activities
- Enhanced cosmetic appearance
- Prevention (or delay) of surgery
- Empowerment and enhanced psychological outlook
- Improved bracing compliance/results
- Connection to others with scoliosis
What to expect:
We encourage you to come in for a complimentary consultation, even if you’re not sure the program is right for you. You can see the clinic, meet Joy, and we will get to know you and answer your questions.
Whether your scoliosis is a newly diagnosed condition or one that you’ve known about for a long time, this therapy can benefit you! We sincerely look forward to being a resource of education and motivation for you.
All patients and families will be treated with compassion and respect.
The Initial Evaluation includes:
- Past medical history review
- Musculoskeletal evaluation
- X-ray evaluation for classifying and understanding spinal curvature
- Posture photos and walking video
- Explanation of evaluation findings
- Discussion of your goals and treatment options
Individual programs may then include:
- Orientation to “what is scoliosis” and rationale for exercise
- Education about “do’s and don’ts” of every day life – school, sports, work, etc.
- Exercises to encourage 3-D movement control and posture correction
- Hands-on care with manual therapy and joint mobilization
- Incrementally challenging exercises to build endurance and counteract the curve
- Training in breathing mechanics to help the spine and improve vital capacity
- Mentoring and coaching
We will work with your health care practitioners to coordinate your overall care.
If your current physician does not know about scoliosis-specific physical therapy, we are more than happy to provide information about our services. We can help you find a physician.
We can also recommend an orthotist and massage therapist. We’re available to meet with professionals and offer in-services and demonstrations in an effort to increase the medical community’s awareness of conservative scoliosis management.